St Luke’s is a Voluntary Aided Catholic Primary School situated in the Irlams O’th Height area of Salford. The children who attend our school come mainly from the parishes of St Luke’s and SS Peter and Paul.
The school was opened on 29th August 1938 to cater for boys and girls of junior age, with 110 pupils on roll. Sister Veronica Mary C.P. was the first head teacher, who together with four members of staff made up the staff team at that time.
One year later, due to the outbreak of the Second World War, sixty of St Luke’s children were evacuated to Blackpool, along with the head teacher and two members of staff. The school became an ARP post, but remained open throughout the war years providing education for those children who were not evacuated.
Sister Veronica Mary retired on the 9th March 1945 when Mr B. E. Wolf took over as the second head teacher, at which point 196 children were on roll.
In September 1947 two Infant classes were added which made six classes in total. Mr Wolf continued in post until he retired on 22nd December 1972.
St Luke’s third head teacher, Mr T Marsden, took up post on January 8th 1973, retiring after ill health in July 1989.
Mr D Caldwell began as head teacher on 26th April 1990, and was head of St Luke’s for II years.
Mr D Harrison took up his post on 7th January 2002 and was promoted to another school in 2005.
Mr P Jameson took up his post in September 2005.
Over the 70 years of its existence, St Luke’s school has built a strong tradition as a school with good academic achievement and an excellent sporting tradition.
Many of the children who first started school here are now grandparents with their own grandchildren now attending St Luke’s.
The whole staff have a commitment to raising standards of achievement and behaviour still further and welcome the support of parents in achieving this.
St Luke’s has been inspected by OFSTED firstly in 1999, 2006 and then in February 2009.